The Louis Pasteur University Hospital in Kosice (UNLP) has admitted two patients intoxicated with the anti-parasitic medication Ivermectin in the past four weeks, TASR learnt from UNLP spokeswoman Monika Kriskova on Monday.
According to UNLP clinical toxicology clinic head Marek Varga, the concentrations of Ivermectin in the blood of both patients exceeded the prescribed level by more than a thousand times. One of the patients is currently in a life-threatening condition, experiencing impaired consciousness and further neurological symptoms.
UNLP doctors don’t recommend taking Ivermectin and stress that it isn’t a cure for COVID-19 by itself. In addition to liver damage, excessive use of Ivermectin can have serious neurological effects. Symptoms range in severity from fatigue to mild dizziness and aggressiveness and disorders related to consciousness.